>> I don't think that's a good option. We may not need to support both, but
>> supporting one is probably quite important. For one thing, it'd kill Enfold
>> Desktop and similar integrations. WebDAV is also very useful for bulk
>> movement of images and documents.

Webdav is main mechanism for iPad to read/write blobs to remote servers.
iWorks and GoodReader are both quite reasonable for doing day-to-day
work on iPad.

> Yes, at this point I personally think it's fair to consider anything that
> isn't part of the web as dead to us.

WebDAV is kinda part of the web. FTP, I agree - should not be supported.

> Besides, few people are willing to edit HTML by hand on the file system
> anymore, and people are increasingly moving away from "blobby" formats like
> .doc and are comfortable with doing editing through the web browser as long
> as we can supply proper formatting + layout support (via Deco) and a good
> autosave-to-draft implementation — and with the IndexedDB/localStorage
> options on the horizon for the web in the near future, we can even support
> offline editing in a proper, standards-based manner.

Maybe think about killing WebDAV when we have these features: Offline
editing, magical wysiwyg blobby editing controls.

> I've been pretty bullish on dropping WebDAV and FTP for a while now, and I
> think it's time to get serious about it. It siphons away our focus on proper,
> TTW solutions when there's always the "you can use WebDAV for batch
> operations" option that isn't really maintained by anyone — no disrespect to
> Enfold et al, of course, this is a client-side WebDAV issue that is unlikely
> to be particularly good in any OS, ever.

I am totally fine with dropping WebDAV. It kinda works and is hard
wired into zope/plone. So is FTP and xmlrpc.

> I think we should envision a future without WebDAV and FTP as core components
> of our stack. They never worked well in practice, and are unlikely to ever
> reach mainstream usage because of the extra steps, concept abstraction, and
> setup knowledge required.

I think most people solely want files and folders wrt to WebDAV. Maybe
constraining the problem is best.  Not much to keep that story
together.  I do agree in 5 years WebDAV should be gone.

> The browser should be our only deployment target on the client side.

I agree. I think we could even go as far as saying web browser is our
only supported platform. While there are others they are not
officially supported.

Alan