View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/42c28a43dba2/this-week-in-avant-garde-cinema-10676754?e=857b71a9cb>
*** we will soon start raising funds to cover MailChimp fees for the next
year ***

*This Week [February 3 - 11, 2024] in Avant Garde Cinema*

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*DEADLINES APPROACHING*
**** Enter upcoming calls for entry here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=62df6bfaf7&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*sorted by submission deadline*
Ongoing Films for Ukrainian Border Crossings
<bccffpol...@gmail.com?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%0a?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%20?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes>
(No Dialogue + PG)
02.09.2024 Coney Island Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a2674dff70&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
02.09.2024 Tiny Film Fest
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=483697f71d&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
02.11.2024 Winnipeg Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5c0ac368bf&e=857b71a9cb>
02.18.2024 Moviate Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9217e9790a&e=857b71a9cb>
02.22.2024 Locarno Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e0ed3c4556&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
02.23.2024 Edinburgh Short Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=20194ce779&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
02.25.2024 VIDEOEX Experimental Film & Video Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=801798cf1e&e=857b71a9cb>
02.29.2024 Laterale Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6b78f03734&e=857b71a9cb>
(Fifth Deadline)
02.29.2024 Crossroads Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=24d44215fc&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
02.29.2024 I-Park Artist-in-Residence Program
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b5d0841580&e=857b71a9cb>
03.01.2024 Festival de Cannes
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6f1d6555e3&e=857b71a9cb>
03.01.2024 Analogica
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=26db26554b&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.01.2024 Crescent City Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f86605b6df&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
03.01.2024 Chicago Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=121216e5e5&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.03.2024 Film Farm
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=57f319c2b3&e=857b71a9cb>
03.10.2024 Mimesis Doc Fest
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9148fcefdb&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.15.2024 RPM Fest - Revolutions Per Minute Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=72ee71857c&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
03.15.2024 Found Footage Magazine
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=c8b82b01df&e=857b71a9cb>
03.25.2024 Oak Cliff Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a42caa956c&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.30.2024 Braziers International Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5165715ab0&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.30.2024 Cauldron International Film and Video Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=984334f548&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
03.31.2024 Experimental Film & Video Festival in Seoul (EXiS)
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2e6f34e9cc&e=857b71a9cb>
04.01.2024 The Franklin Furnace FUND for Performance Art
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9c3280335f&e=857b71a9cb>
04.05.2024 VSW Project Space Residency
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=cdfd1840df&e=857b71a9cb>
05.31.2024 San Diego Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=35081a3a42&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
06.01.2024 Engauge Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8aba525631&e=857b71a9cb>

*EVENTS*
**** Enter your event announcements here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=867e1f7774&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*complicated sorting but a true attempt, enjoy!*

This week's programs (summary):

   - LA Filmforum: Orlando, My Political Biography

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b029abb15d&e=857b71a9cb>
   [February 4, Los Angeles, CA]
   - Free Live Stream Tutorials

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1dc9b88f22&e=857b71a9cb>
   [February 5-8, online]
   - SLUDGE Film Screening I

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6b19154851&e=857b71a9cb>
   [February 8, Rochester, NY]
   - VLX5: VASTLAB Travels To Chicago Filmmakers

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f80ec7e28b&e=857b71a9cb>
   [February 9, Chicago, IL]
   - Film Diary III: Coldest Winter

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=fe7fc21e84&e=857b71a9cb>
   [February 9, Santa Fe, NM]
   - The Long Conversation

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=927c995814&e=857b71a9cb>
   [ongoing, online]
   - 6x6 Project: Artists' Moving Image Works

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=20b500471f&e=857b71a9cb>
[ongoing,
   online]

*SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2024* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
*2220 Arts + Archives*
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8294090bed&e=857b71a9cb>
7:30 PM PST,
2220 Arts & Archives - 2220 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
*LA FILMFORUM: ORLANDO, MY POLITICAL BIOGRAPHY*
2023 | France | French w/ English Subtitles | 99 minutes

Filmforum joins with Semiotext(e) and LA OLA to host a screening of one of
the most highly acclaimed films of 2023, *Orlando: My Political Biography*,
by Paul B. Preciado. Unusually for us, even though the film did play for a
couple of weeks at Laemmle Theaters, it may have escaped the attention of
many interested parties. Its unique use of performance, costume,
declamatory statement, language, personal revelation, and exploration of
identity and trans-ness places it somewhere between the films of Straub &
Huillet, Godard, and Sally Potter’s more conventionally theatrical Orlando.

In person introduction by Jennifer Doyle, Professor of English at UC
Riverside

"Few movies this year have lived in my head as long and as happily as *Orlando:
My Political Biography*, which I’ve been thinking about since I first saw
it in September. Written and directed by the Spanish-born philosopher and
activist Paul B. Preciado — a trans man making his feature directing debut
— the movie is, at its simplest, an essayistic documentary about
transgender and nonbinary identity that draws inspiration from Virginia
Woolf’s novel “Orlando: A Biography.” Yet trying to squeeze “My Political
Biography” into a tidy categorical box is fundamentally at odds with
Preciado’s expansive project, which is at once an argument, a confession, a
celebration and a road map.

"It’s also a sharp, witty low-budget experimental work of great political
and personal conviction, one that breathes life into Woolf’s novel about a
16-year-old boy in Elizabethan England who, after centuries of trippy
adventures, enigmatically ends up as a 36-year-old woman in 1928, the year
the novel was published. Woolf dedicated the book to her lover Vita
Sackville-West, whose son Nigel Nicolson described it as “the longest and
most charming love letter in literature,” one in which Woolf weaves Vita
“in and out of the centuries, tosses her from one sex to the other, plays
with her, dresses her in furs, lace and emeralds.” - Manohla Dargis, New
York Times,
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/09/movies/orlando-my-political-biography-review.html

“I didn’t want to make a film about “being trans” but rather a trans and
non-binary film."

“The challenge of making a trans film is to undo the normative differences
not only between a feature film and a documentary film, fiction and a
biography, politics and poetry, theory and practice, but also between the
traditional ways of representing femininity and masculinity, between what
being and not-being-trans means in a binary society. A non-binary films
works according to what we could call with Gilles Deleuze, “a logic of
multiplicities'', “a theory and practice of relations, of “the AND”, which
at every levels tries to question the classifications based on the strict
binary delineation of “either-or”. To give you an example, I didn’t want to
choose between narrating my biography and telling a larger trans political
history, or between Virginia Woolf’s language and the way of speaking of
contemporary Orlandos, or between an adaptation of a novel and a
documentary with “real” people. As a result the film is neither one nor the
other, but a becoming-other.” – Paul B. Preciado, from an interview with
Michael Joshua Rowin

*MONDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2024* *February 5 - 8*
Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
*Mono No Aware*
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=15f761d063&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm ET,
Event URL: https://www.instagram.com/mononoawarefilm/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=292d86a6fd&e=857b71a9cb>
*FREE LIVE STREAM TUTORIALS*
Join the MONO NO AWARE community online from anywhere in the world at 8 PM
EST US for a free tutorial every day next week. Dial in for free OR *make a
small donation to receive lab services and film materials* through the post
office.

MON FEB 5TH - Develop motion picture film as still photos ECN-II
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5039d287ec&e=857b71a9cb>
!
TUES FEB 6TH - Create stunning BW cinema titles on 16MM
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9f13f7bce1&e=857b71a9cb>
!
WED FEB 7TH - Non-toxic developing w/ Beer & Coffee for S8MM
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=7e8d7e05ab&e=857b71a9cb>
!
THURS FEB 8TH - Optical Sound Tracks - expose sound onto film
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3d3ba95fab&e=857b71a9cb>
.

ALL SESSIONS STREAM FOR FREE THROUGH INSTAGRAM.
https://www.instagram.com/mononoawarefilm

*THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2024* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
*Visual Studies Workshop*
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=37c6bcbd40&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm ET,
Visual Studies Workshop, 31 Prince Street, Rochester, NY
*SLUDGE FILM SCREENING I*
The VSW Film Archive contains over 5000 16mm films primarily originating
from public and university libraries. VSW values this rare chunk of media
and cultural history on behalf of the artists and researchers who find
useful information and source material within.

16mm film of the 20th century both reflected and influenced American
cultural life, with many films produced to homogenize educational standards
and national viewpoints, for better and worse. Film archives are left to
reckon with this cultural heritage, confronting a varied field of broadcast
values that, in 2024, feel strange and distant, yet foundational and
familiar.

SLUDGE takes its name from an extrasensory TikTok fad of simultaneously
showing two or more unrelated videos on one screen – an extreme example of
the evolution of our attention spans. By looking at films from the past in
this exaggerated approach to media consumption, the educational,
documentary, propaganda, and animated films of the 1940s-80s become rich
texts for re-interpretation.

The SLUDGE Film series offers an evening’s experiment of mashed up titles
and topics from VSW’s 16mm collection, making new meaning from old formats
and playing with our new tempos of media consumption. This series is
curated and projected by Mary Lewandowski, VSW’s Curatorial & Research
Associate.

*FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2024* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
*Chicago Filmmakers*
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3bd8740bbf&e=857b71a9cb>
6:30PM CST,
1326 W Hollywood Avenue, Chicago IL 60660
*VLX5: VASTLAB TRAVELS TO CHICAGO FILMMAKERS*
VLX5 is the fifth season of VASTLAB's annual showcase of Experimental short
Film including an action packed program with local Chicago Artist Amanda
Van Valkenburg in person for Q&A as well as local Chicago Musicians & Sound
Artists LIVEscoring VLX5 short films.

*7pm VLX5 - Theatrical Program Part 1*
Aitor Irulegi - *Kusikozu*
Sharon Mooney - *I’m sorry I’m late*
Sarah Lasley - *Welcome to the Enclave*
Teri Carson - *Monolith*

*7:40pm - A Conversation with artist Amanda VanValkenburg*
(Followed by a brief intermission)

*8:30PM Centerpiece Program featuring a live score with H Anton Riehl*
Camila Dron - *La próxima te acompaño (next time i’ll join you)*
Tracy Miller-Robbins - *bleu passé*
Vasco Diogo - *Anima # 3*
Vincent DeZutti - *Brackish*
Amanda VanValkenburg - *Expansion*

*9PM - Theatrical Program Part 2*
Hodan Youssouf - *Poésie de mains*
Susanne Layla Petersen - *Echoes*
Adam E. Stone -* form*
Ihab Mardini - *Soapaboyo : Soap Film 3*
Caroline Rumley - *Absolut*
Brian Alexander - *Waking Field*
Charlie Marois -* Horizons*
Tommy Becker - *The Mirror Neuron (poetry mix)*
Josh Weissbach - *a landscape to be invented*
Stephanie Barber - *The Enlightenment*

Full event running time, approximately 3 hours 10 mins.

Chicago Filmmakers Firehouse Cinema
In-person screenings are held at Chicago Filmmakers’ Firehouse Cinema
located at 1326 W. Hollywood Ave in the Edgewater neighborhood. Please be
sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to showtime and be ready to present your
order confirmation number for admission. Chicago Filmmakers does not deny
admission to those who do not have the ability to make a donation. Please
email coop [at] chicagofilmmakers.org to inquire about free admission.

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
*No Name Cinema*
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=7d4f95eff0&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm MST,
No Name Cinema, 2013 Pinon Street, Santa Fe, NM
*FILM DIARY III: COLDEST WINTER*
A selection of Diary Films, Personal Documentaries, and Home Movies from
the annual NYC-based festival of experimental non-fiction films (Film Diary
NYC) that capture the personal history and daily experiences of the
filmmaker and the world they encounter.

This year’s lineup is composed of work from every continent except
Antarctica, from a diverse and intergenerational group of emerging and
established filmmakers. The program being presented at No Name Cinema
features short films and videos by Dana Dawud (Palestine), Gloria Chung
(USA), Jiem L'Hostis (France), Yasaman Baghban (Iran), Ben Kujawski (USA),
Mark Street (USA), and Nande Walters (USA). Other locations that traveling
programs will be screened at this year include Argentina, Germany, London,
Pakistan, Iran, Milwaukee, San Francisco, Winnipeg, and Australia!

*ONGOING*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
Riverwest Radio
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1a3d32e575&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*THE LONG CONVERSATION*
THE LONG CONVERSATION with Xav Leplae and Stephanie Barber is on indefinite
hold. But... all episodes from the last year and a half are streaming!!!

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
6x6 Project
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=bc40d860ca&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*Artists' Moving Image Works*
6x6 project is an online artists' community that serves as a platform for
disseminating artists' moving image works, and to create
an ever-growing network among peers.

There are now more than four hundred artists’ film and moving image works
available to view on the website.

------------------------------

*Let us know about your alternative film/video event!*

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5e0141123f&e=857b71a9cb>
.

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*** we will soon start raising funds to cover MailChimp fees for the next
year ***
*Copyright © 2020 Flicker, All rights reserved.*
Longtime recipient of This Week in Avant Garde Cinema