There are thousands of them going back to Loie Fuller and the many, many
copycats from before 1900. However, there are several favorites including Ed
Emswiller and Alwin Nikolais collaborations (with Gladys Bailin and others
as dancers), Thomas Bouchard's work with Doris Humphrey, the original B&W
version of Matha Graham's Lamentation from the 1930s (my apologies for not
remembering the filmmaker, but it's my alltime favorite), Shirley Clarke's
first short films, and many in the 1960s by Twyla Tharp, Meredith Monk, and
Yvonne Rainer. One could call Norman McLaren's BEGONE DULL CARE and
especially NEIGHBOURS as choreographed dances on film.

 I'm said to say, my expertise ends around 1980 but the Dance Film
Association would be the best place to go along with checking out the Film
Society of Lincoln Center's Dance on Film series they program with the DFA
and Joanna Ney.

There's also the DFA's DANCE FILM AND VIDEO GUIDE, Judy Mitoma's ENVISIONING
DANCE ON FILM AND VIDEO and the first one of its kind that's still
excellent, John Mueller's guide to dance on film.

--
Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero