What kind of a lens are you using? I believe the proper lens to use for
optical printing is an enlarging lens.  Camera lenses have different number
and arrangement of optical elements. I have used a 50mm slr lens to blow up
s8 to 16 and it required a ridiculous amount of extension tubes, like
200mm+, and it requires that you be like one millimeter away from the film
strip, which is not practical if your using the jk's gate.
If you are using a camera lens with bellows or extension tubes what you are
doing conveniently falls into the realm of macrophotography.  There are a
variety of equations to figure out how much extension you need and what your
focus distance is, some quick google-ing should present them.  Simply put
the farther away the lens from the film plane, the greater the magnification
and the closer the focusing distance.
Here is a link from the jk website describing the use of enlarging lenses,
although I don't immediately understand it:
http://www.jkcamera.com/digital_instr_.htm
I have some old manuals, and educational material relating to the jk lying
around somewhere, I will try to dig them up and see if I can find anything
relevant to your predicament.  In the meantime i would just get ridiculously
close to the super 8 your trying to photograph.  It will be elusive, the
depth of field is so shallow that minor movements will send you back into
the unfocused blurry world.

-Eric Stewart

On Oct 10, 2011, at 6:47 PM, John Woods < <jawood...@yahoo.ca>