Wow! Thats quite a jump! Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
I'm not sure what he said or didn't say on the subject but if he just refused
to criticise the situation it could be because:

a) He felt he didn't know enough about it to comment to that extent
b) That he felt it wasn't a battle worth fighting and that it might undermine
his own situation.
c) He might be in favour of the dictatorship! I know that seems unlikely but if
he was then he could be still interested in the situation! Okay I'm being
wildly hypothetical here but I'm making the point that you don't know. Someone
can even be a fascist and still be interested in politics don't forget! ;)
d) He might have just been afraid.

In the past, many legal systems have included the "right to remain silent" when
arrested. If you refused to speak or comment, that would not mean that you were
guilty, it just meant that you had the right to not engage in speaking in order
to protect yourself/others.

"Does it mean that he denies political cinema?"

er, no, why would it?

You seem to be taking one situation in someones life and extrapolating it out
to cover unrelated situations. Even if you could somehow establish that he
wasn't interested in the political situation in Greece, it's a huge jump to
suggest he wasn't interested in politics in any form, or for that matter to
suppose that he denied "political cinema"

I could be wrong, but I think the following is supposedly a quote from Gregory:

"The average man is destroying beauty.  The average man no longer looks
 into another man's eyes.  Everyone is afraid . . . sometimes I think the only
way to save the United States is by going somewhere else--just as the ancient
Greek philosophers fled to Asia Minor and Italy."

Is that not a political statement? Is not leaving the united states and
withdrawing all your films from circulation not a political statement?

To go even further, could you not describe Gregorys films as "political
cinema", or at least some of them? They certainly seemed to upset some people!
It would also appear that perhaps Gregory was somewhat openly gay in 50's
America, something that I assume might be seen as radical, even 10 years
later!? (It might be better if someone else could comment on that as I'm not
old enough to remember that far back, I'm not American, and truck driving
aside... but that is the impression I have!)

I think it's wonderful you are writing something about Gregory as there is very
little information about his life or his work out there and some of it is
conflicting. It would be great to hear more about Gregory more generally? Is
there anyone on the list who actually met him or remembers him?

Glad to hear you are feeling well and are working hard! :)

Good luck with your thesis!

love

Freya