Hi Kevin,

No matter the cartridge size, if the film is definitely super 8mm gauge it
will fit the spiral on your Lomo tank.

Re VNF chemistry, the film can be processed as E6 with some modification.
See the below link.
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/ektachromedeveloping.html

If your friend's film is valuable (having been shot by a late relative) I
would recommend having a professional lab do the work to minimise risk of
losing whatever is registered in the emulsion. Try Andec
<http://www.andecfilm.de/en/e_start.htm>in Germany, or if you're in the UK,
Blue Cine Tech.

Good luck
Stuart