On Dec 31, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Ken Paul Rosenthal <kenpaulrosent...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

"... I believe Jeff is involved with frame by frame scanning which indeed is
capable of producing the greatest resolution, thus it is ideal for archiving.
His knowledge and experience in that area is much appreciated. But while I
would have preferred frame by frame scanning, I was not interested in sifting
through--and scratching--over 150 rolls of shot super 8 to choose which shots I
wanted to scan. I preferred the more fluid process of going straight from the
processing lab to the transfer center, where I sat in with the operator and
decided right then and there if I wanted a particular shot. ..."

Ken, this is not the case.

The Kinetta Archival Scanner is a continuous scanner, with no sprockets, that
scans at up to 16 fps at 3.3K resolution and up to 32 fps at 2.3K.  Do not
confuse it with projector-based frame-by-frame devices or optical-printer-based
devices.  Look at the picture on the last page of the PDF, and note the
threading path.  It is designed to scan extremely shrunken or damaged film
without causing any further damage.

No grading choices are baked in during scanning, so you have complete freedom
to non-destructively color-correct your scans later, unlike telecine transfers.

That said, there is nothing "wrong" with an HD telecine scan if it fits your
needs, and I certainly was not criticizing your carefully-researched choices.

The point of the tests I did was to find out if the conventional wisdom -- that
 HD transfers capture everything worth capturing from grainy Super-8 originals
-- was correct.  Turns out it was not.

A Happy New Year to everyone on Frameworks!

Jeff