Kevin,
The daylight filter is used to balance the color of sunlight towards
orange to correspond with the tungsten film stock. In the case of
Tri-X, you do not need to worry about the colors so you do not need
to use the filter - leave it on tungsten.  On the other hand you can
get some very nice effects on the contrast shooting Tri-X through
yellow or red filters. Try i!
-Pip Chodorov