From: David Tetzlaff <djte...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic
Lantern + RK Projects
To: "Experimental Film Discussion List" <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Date: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 11:10 AM

> Never mind. It looks like they are projecting at 16fps.
> excellent.

Actually, they're projecting it at 18fps. They have an Eiki with a silent speed
pulley, which runs at 18fps, and they're borrowing my Pageant 250S for the
second projector, which also has a silent speed of 18fps. (I've checked the
manuals for both of them. Graflex dual speed models also run at 18fps and
24fps.)

Now, before actually CHECKING this stuff, I had always thought 16fps was the
proper speed for 16mm silent, and that the silent speed on a Pageant was 16fps.

So does anyone on the list know more about this? Were the old, old
silent-speed-only 16mm projectors 16fps, and did they change it to 18 to make
projectors that could switch speeds more practical, or something like that?
Does it have anything to do with 18fps being set as the speed for Super-8? Were
there ever dual speed projectors that ran at 16fps and 24fps? Or has it always
been 18fps for silent, and somehow Myron and I have suffered from some
collective 16fps illusion?

just curious...