Dear all,

Well firstly, I apologize for posting a provocative, sketchy, response on the way out the door... Now having returned, I can take more time.

Secondly, I was commenting predominantly on Myron Ort's comment: " Not so much an homage to Warhol as an homage to Youtube! LOL", which seems to reduce the presentation wholly to the teenage homages of pop stars on Youtube that "produce" a music video created from photographs related to the song only by the presence of the 'artist', often wholly disjunct stylistically and temporally. All I wanted to say was Vexations does have a connection--in the temporal moment of Sleep and the stylistic shaping of duration. It is quite fair to point out that I missed you LOL, which I see now, and even quoted above. I'll confess it is an abbreviation I find particularly annoying; I overlooked it to in the spirit of friendship/ camaraderie. But it seems we all may be skimming the texts. For my misreading, I'm Sorry.

Third, there is a question of revisionist history I am introducing... A number of assertions I make trace the language of the original post from RK Projects and the Magic Lantern Cinema. Even so, the link I offered does seem to assert a connection in the first paragraph referencing it to John Cage, who stated it to: "Emma Lavigne, curator at the Pompidou Centre in Paris, who wrote in an essay published in the Warhol Live exhibition catalogue that the impact made by the Vexations concert "was decisive and inspired the artist to the unprecedented, repetitive structure of the film Sleep (1963)". I also recall hearing a John Giorno poetry reading at MoMA in which he claims a similar connection for Vexations. But on further reflection, Giorno also added to the significance of Cage's presentation of Vexations, a story of his discussion about Sleep with Branden Joseph in which the latter connects the repetition and editing process to Rosicrucian ideas (and that Satie was a Rosicrucian).

Between Giorno and P. Adams Sitney, there are claims from both ends of the spectrum (poet to historian) that Warhol shot Sleep with 100' foot rolls. Giorno even claims in the MoMA interview that Warhol was even hand winding the camera at the beginning of filming.

However, I still find what Tony Conrad presents compelling. The Vexations concert was, in fact, during Sept. of 1963, well before VU public arrival in the latter half of 1964. Yet, Cale's gig-ography on the internets claims the La Monte Young concert at at Henry Geldzahler's home took place 3/7/65, a year after the Jan. '64 premier of Sleep. What seems revisionist in the Vexations narrative is that it seems to reduces Warhol to an acolyte of Rauschenberg/ Johns/Cage, and I believe he was more complicated than that--Contrary to Warhol's own words. I'd love to hear more of Tony's thoughts about the La Monte Young influences.

Damon.