Hi Richard,

I'm not sure if Brakhage actually read a lot of the "philosophers of light,"
but I can tell you from going through a lot of his correspondence in the
Brakhage Archive in Boulder that he discusses what he's reading quite often,
and I can't recall him mentioning in the correspondence that he has read them.
In a letter from 1972 (sorry I don't have more information handy right now), he
mentions the following books from his personal library as the most important to
his artistic practice:

Ezra Pound-Guide to Kulchur, ABC of Reading, Spirit of Romance
Charles Olson-The Human Universe, Call Me Ishmael, The Mayan Letters
Gertrude Stein-Lectures in America, Geographical History of America
William Carlos Williams-In the American Grain, "Spring and All"
DH Lawrence-Studies in Classic American Literature
Louis Zukofsky-Bottom on Shakespeare
Donald Sutherland-On Romance
Hugh Kenner-The Pound Era

These are the books he mentions most frequently. Again, this is dated 1972,
which is around the time he makes THE PROCESS and THE RIDDLE OF LUMEN and
shortly before TEXT OF LIGHT, so it's possible he picked them up later. But
there's not a lot of mention of reading them specifically.

best
John Powers
University of Wisconsin-Madison