I don't think a truly horizontal structure is feasible; it's hard enough to
get things done as it is. It may get easier, but I doubt it will get that
easy. People who make day to day decisions need to do so in an informed,
organic *and* accountable manner. New York is a hostile environment,
Millennium is a very complicated beast, it's hard enough to pull these
members meetings off, etc. The very few of us who "clean the toilets," as
you put it, are pretty burnt out, and of course it would great if people
were more involved. At present it's pretty egalitarian, but people need to
show up to put in their two cents, and to have their two cents jibe with
"conditions on the ground." Basically, this isn't a worker's council or
something: people have very different levels of investment, needs,
resources (time, competencies), agendas. We also have other obligations
than those to our members: to our landlord, our grantors, the general
public. I would like to see more accountability: the director appointed (or
fired) by the board, the membership able to vote no confidence at any time
(recallable delegates), and so forth. But even that is a steep logistical
hill. Arts institutions, at least ones that pay rent, aren't utopias.