I wonder if you can't get MPEG streamclip for Linux?  great free program
for converting.  maybe adobe media encoder could handle as well. there's
also a program called handbrake. I'm guessing you're making a
festival/screening viewer for a showcase from different contributors? I've
had the best luck using mpeg streamclip to make everything .h264 4x3 (i
letter-boxed anything that was 16.9). then i output all of them as one big
file through final cut (you could use premier). that way you can control
the time between each or add titles if you'd like.

 in the future, tell your contributors you need them all to submit a
standard def .h264, this will save you a lot of headaches on your end

-Carrie Schreck
carrieschreck.com

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Herb Theriault <he...@theria.ca> wrote:

> Ffmpeg is likely your best bet, either from the command line, or one of
> the front ends. You could also do it via kdenlive: kdenlive.org
>
> Herb
>

> ev petrol <epetr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hey PC (or ubuntu) people
> what would you use for decent VOB & FLV conversions to AVI?
> (I'm going to try compiling these shorts onto mini-DV, via avid)
> cheers! Moira
>
> www.moiratierney.net
> www.soluscollective.org

*Carrie Schreck*
*Filmmaker, photographer, and all-around cool chick.*
*carrieschreck.com
(415) 730 1146*