Mark,

I'd be very interested to hear about the preservation of JJ Murphy's PRINT GENERATION. In addition to knowing JJ and admiring this film especially, I'm curious about the challenges to restoration and preservation posed by a work based on purposeful image and sound degradation. I remember several years ago hearing Mike Pogorzelski talking about digital restoration on a Hollywood film (can't recall the title) - at one point a computer was allowed to work on the film overnight to digitally remove scratches, and the next morning it was discovered that it had mistaken raindrops for scratches, rendering a rainy night scene utterly rainless. I imagine a hilarious restored version of PRINT GENERATION in which all the generational image degradation has been "cleaned up" digitally, leaving each series of shots exactly the same.

But I digress...my vote is for P.G.

Best,
Jonathan

Jonathan Walley