Meg,

You can buy double 8 rolls of Kodak plus-x and Kodak ektachrome from LIFT
here in Toronto: http://lift.ca/equipment/store

I'm pretty sure that you can rent the film splitter from their equipment
depot as well. I know for certain that Sebastjan at Niagara Custom Labs
will process regular 8 and split it for you as well
http://www.niagaracustomlab.com/ (also here in Toronto...we've got great
resources!)

As far as finding a dual projector (that will project both regular 8 and
super 8), try pawn shops and antique markets in your area. I found my Ansco
dual projector for $30 at a pawn shop. Most of the duals are tension/
direct-driven (not sprocket-driven), as the sprocket size of super 8mm and
regular 8mm is different (regular 8mm sprockets are the same size as 16mm).

A fun experiment to try is to shoot a roll of double 8mm in your double 8
camera (running it through twice, using both sides of the reel), process
it, but refrain from splitting it. If you project it in a 16mm projector,
you'll see an image occupied by four smaller film frames, two right side
up, and two upside down :)