Hi Mariah,
The jack out of the projector is typically a standard 1/4" audio jack (not
stereo) where the tip is hot (usually for driving 8ohm speakers) and the
sleeve is ground.
You should be able to safely hook up almost any speaker to it unless its a
powered speaker expecting a line-level signal.

If you are going to go out to a separate amp rather than a speaker you
should run the output through a _very_ simple attenuator circuit to knock
it down to line level:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

If you aren't worried about damaging the amp and/or speakers you are
connecting the projector to, you can also just try connecting it up with
the projector volume set as low as possible - not recommended, but it can
work without smoke ensuing...
-Good Luck,
---Buck Bito - vtc-sf.com