David Kidman has experimented with onion fixer. He says to liquidize the onions and use 1 kg for 1 liter and have patience. You can see his onion film here: http://www.davidkidman.com/films/DogsDinner.html

Many still photographers have experimented with non-toxic chemistry:

mint: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludwigwest/5664626493/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludwigwest/5664626493/ carrots : <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludwigwest/5690507185/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludwigwest/5690507185/

There are also a few websites in French that give recipes for ecological chemistry:

coffee
http://kinocoffe.blogspot.fr/

wine
http://www.infokiosques.net/spip.php?article407

ecolo
http://35mm-compact.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=65113

vitamin C
http://www.revelateur.com/scripts/gestart/article.php?ID=81&ORDR=1

Poke around and you'll find a lot of people interested in this.
-Pip