I've flashed miles of b/w and color super 8, though it's been well over ten
years. I've read and experienced that there are a variety of 'ideal' points at
which to flash. I had the most 'success' halfway through. But on Phil Hoffman's
Film Farm, we were encouraged to do it during the first third, if not earlier,
using a mini mag light for couple of seconds.
I found the intensity and duration of the flash to more critical. I preferred
using a clamp light with a 100 watt bulb. Then, lifting the entire, somewhat
unravelled mess of film out of the tank, and holding it about 2 or 3 feet away
from the light, I'd click it on and off as fast as I could, then returned it to
the tank to continue processing where I left off.
Check out my article on hand processing here:
http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com/antidote.htm
Ken
www.crookedbeautythefilm.com (Academic)www.crookedbeauty.com
(Public)www.kenpaulrosenthal.com