Thanks to everyone who posted in response to my question about film and
digital (I hope the responses continue). Lots to think about, and I will
respond in greater detail to some of the posts within a few days.

Though I am a digital skeptic and a film luddite, I didn't mean to pose the
question in terms of film "vs." digital, though that adversarial view is
prevalent, which is interesting in and of itself. The students I teach in
the class I was talking about have very little sense - and this is true of
most people, I assume - that films (including "films" on digital) are made
of anything or come from anywhere. This notion that cinema is magic is what
I'm trying to disabuse them of, and dealing with the nuts and bolts of
cinematic technologies is part of that.

The conversation has also been very productive for my always ongoing
thinking about medium-specificity. More on that later, perhaps.

Jonathan
Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor
Department of Cinema