Be careful of the Digital-8 camcorders. I never knew anyone who had a digital
camcorder who didn't have a broken digital 8 camcorder. If Jeff says they give
good results when working, I absolutely take his word for it. But caveat emptor
when buying a used one, and don't pay too much.

A lot of High-8 camcorders and decks were much better made, but at this late
date, the capacitors on anything can be pooped out. So you wouldn't want to buy
anything that's been sitting in storage without giving it a good use test
first. On any of the better-made units, the transport should be OK if it hasn't
been abused, so tape-eating isn't the most likely problem. Just whether it
works at all, and has a clean video out.

I'm assuming Tony's comment translates as "with old tech it can be easier and
cheaper to just buy something, rather than hunt down and pay for a rental,"
which is often true in my experience as well. Helps to know what you're looking
for, but I think Steven's been around the block enough to navigate the
territory.