After waiting 6 years to afford it, I was finally able to visit Pacific Film
Archive at
 UC Berkeley and Canyon Cinema in the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco. I
went early in October to screen as many 16mm prints of abstract and artistic
movies as I could, works I've been waiting to see for several years, and it was
a joyful inspirational and
 exciting experience to finally watch them!
1st day : Oct 2, PFA
"Moon 1969" Scott Bartlett
Stunning, mesmerizing, and kinetic! A hypnotic, cinematically exciting tour
 de force. I had been waiting 9 years to see this ever since reading about
Francis Coppola and George Lucas' enthusiasm for it. Coppola caught it at at
saturday midnight show at the Palace movie theater in North Beach, a
 sort of pre-Rocky Horror Picture Show where fun partying people dressed in
wild costumes. They would screen different compilations of movies, including
things like newsreels, serials, classic features, documentaries, and the
occasional abstract or avant-garde 16mm movie. That night they happened to
screen Moon 1969 and the normally rambunctious, talkative audience was
completely silenced, hypnotized by the beautiful intense abstract visuals and
sounds. Coppola was very impressed and began trying to develop a feature at
american zoetrope with Scott at the helm and i really wish it had come to
fruition.
I was immediately hooked by the opening: over black, we hear NASA radio
communications for a few minutes. There's a real tense, errie feel about it.
Then a beautiful shot flying down slowly at night, wide view of a stretch of
runway
 lights, surrounded by a sea of twinkling citylights. The camera slowly comes
down and closer
 towards the runway - the two lines of individual points of light stretching
away into the background of blackness and then they start to be mutliplied, as
in double exposures I think; four lines of lights now, the 2 new ones going up
and down and back and forth through the first 2. A really cool effect. The
movie goes on to one great visual effect after another. Very strange colors and
solarized-type effects. Great sounds with repeated reverb and echo effects that
match the images of figures being multiplied far away into the background,
perfectly combined together. Beautiful shots flying through the blue sunny sky,
past white puffy clouds. Gorgeous shots of the ocean waves rolling and
crashing. I got a feeling of how the moon affects our planet and our
consciousness without ever seeing the moon itself.
Great dramatic tension mounts
 as quick flash frames of white repeatedly strobe between the images. It hits a
 visual/sound climax and then a lovely wide shot zooms out from the horizon
over a path of sunshine glistening off the ocean and reveals the ocean waters
gently rolling into the beach. All superbly shot and edited, technically
perfect. Scott was clearly gifted and very skillful with the tools and
technology of movie making. Of course, like all of us abstract movie makers, he
must have been working with limited resources and assistance and it's very
impressive what he accomplished. He really had a fantastic sense of
composition, color, movement, and sound.
"1970" Scott Bartlett
I had never heard of this work of his until reading about it in the catalogs of
the PFA and Filmmakers's Co-op and decided to request it out of a
 curiosity about his life. What a treat it turned out to be! It's one of those
great movies I can't believe has been sitting unknown and unheralded on a
couple of archives' shelves for 40
 years now. It is definitely ripe for re-discovery and renewed appreciation.
It is a personal documentary of his life and cultural environment in that year
but it is also a beautifully formal aesthetic experience. No videographics or
post-processing visual effects, just superb technically excellent camerawork
and editing combined with mostly pop songs in a very effective fashion. The
star is his beautful wife Freude, a slender woman of delicate feminine
features. Pretty face, long arms and legs, a small afro of curly hair - what
looked to me to be black but was actually red! Scott follows her and a
girlfriend as they make their way down a sidewalk in an old, dilapitated
neighborhood of San Francisco. His handheld camera very sensitively employed as
he moves with them. He then joins them at their table in a restaurant right
next to the front
 window looking out on the street. He cuts back and forth to close angles
moving their forks in
 their hands as they eat salad, swishing between their mouths and their plates,
creating an oddly intimate effect, as if we're present hanging out with them as
close friends.
Really fun kinetic shots driving down the street fast, past other cars set to a
good rock song. An absolutely lovely shot of Freude as she sits at the low base
of a very large white tree in the middle of its huge trunks that branch out
from there. Scott's camera positioned high above somewhere on the tree, looking
down on her as she writes or sketches in her notebook. Cool crisp afternoon
light - bright yet soft and subdued, almost a pinkish light. Perfect still
composition of her lovely features, lost in herself, her thoughts, her
creativity.
Several dreamy images, floating - something off his tv set, a shot of the moon
drifting up through the screen etc. Then a great moment, low fixed angle of
 Scott standing still in the darkness, warm golden light illuminating his face.
Over the soundtrack a recording of his voice, he tells us that his other movies
had all surprised him by being personal, they had become self-discovery. Now,
that he is making a purposely personal work, he is losing that.
A really exciting time-lapse sequence, the camera mounted to the hood of his
car and set to the fantastic song "Going Up The Country" by Canned Heat. We
speed through the big city streets, then down the freeway, then the highway,
then the mountain roads past rows of tall trees, until we get to the snowy
mountain slopes where Scott and Freude get out and enjoy climbing, away from
the city environment of their home.
The
 most dramatic and unforgettable scene is a pregnant Freud giving birth in
their living room, while Scott and several of their friends stand around her to
deliver their first son, Adam. A wide fixed camera angle, starts out with no
live sound, just a single musical note, i'm not sure what instrument. Low
tense, it slowly rises in volume and pitch until BAM it cuts off and the live
synch sound from the room explodes - their son crying as his head emerges. Very
poignant and resonant. To be continued . . .                        Douglas
Graves