I've used a red safelight routinely.  I've even just used a couple of red
filters doubled over a desk lamp in a pinch.  I noticed that when leaving the
film exposed to red light for an extended time (like while setting up to do
rayograms), there is a noticeable effect on the processed film, but when simply
quickly dropping film in the developer, I've had no problems with red.

Not exactly the most scientific answer, but worth something, I hope.
Roger