this flash lecture of lawrence lessig's is from 1992 but still very useful.  i
play it for my students every semester:
http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/free.html

there are still plenty of artists playing/dealing with copyright issues for all
sorts of reasons (head on or otherwise).  this is true especially as the idea
of fair use and copyright get tighter and tighter.

best,
shelly

On Jan 6, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Matěj Strnad wrote:

> Dear Frameworkers,
>
> I have a daring question regarding your experience with screening but
> especially publishing of experimental film/video works which feature
> copyrighted music.
>
> With today's level of copyright-crusade, I find it quite unlikely that anyone
> working now would deliberately choose copyrighted music without permission in
> his film (without perhaps conceptualizing it somehow).
>
> But there surely are many works from the times when this issue wasn't so
> exposed, I mean Harry Smith's films and such. I quite understand a certain
> touchiness of this subject (that is probably why I found so very little about
> it), but I would very welcome any relevant tips/readings/examples/contacts.
>
> It is not only my personal curiosity, dissatisfaction with how
> intellectual-property laws push economics over creativity (or effectively
> force us to disregard a part of our cultural heritage, so to speak). It is
> also that we are dealing with this problem right now (preserving and
> digitizing 8mm films from the 70s which were originally accompanied with
> copyrighted, US-record-label kind of music).
>
> With many thanks for any on- or off-list responses,
>
> Matej Strnad
>
> student at
> Center of Audiovisual Studies
> Film and Television Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague, CZ

Shelly Silver
silver...@earthlink.net