Hello-

Thanks for the post, it was nice to hear your thoughts.

I am a film enthusiast as well, and I would also be interested in taking part
in a community of likeminded artists.  I also make abstract, visual films that
my parents don't consider movies.  I love Hans Richter, Maya Deren, and Man Ray
films, among many others.

I have a ton of gear, and I would like to make myself available as a resource
for film-related tools, etc.  With an engineer friend, I custom build
film-related gear such as interval motors, upside-down tri-pods (for correcting
8mm-on-16mm 4-screen effect), external shutters, external scope lens gadgetry,
matte box masks, frankenstein optical printer hybrids, etc., etc.  If there is
something anybody needs, I am sure I can help.

I also collect 16mm films, and have amassed a large collection, including about
200 amateur home movies that I would love to archive someday.

For a while now, I have been thinking about trying to start a film festival
that is devoted to filmmakers who shoot and finish/present their films on
celluloid.  "The Film-Only Film Festival," or something to that effect.  There
are, of course, already experimental film festivals out there, but I don't
think there is anything that is specifically, 100% devoted to the medium of
film, as in celluloid.  Anyway, I think the idea could take off, and could help
to provide a community that is supportive to artists who are committed to film.
 Maybe this could also help fill the void you are speaking of, and connect
likeminded filmmakers together.  It could also perhaps help to preserve the
"dying," medium of film - a worthy cause that I think a lot of people and
institutions would be willing to help support.

Anyway, if anyone thinks that this is an idea worth pursuing, I am open to
collaborating, and building on the idea.  Why not?!  If we don't have a venue,
I guess we'll just have to build one!

-Ian Wood
Filmmaker