 De: David Baker <dbak...@hvc.rr.com>
Para: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Enviado: Lunes 18 de marzo de 2013 19:02
Asunto: [Frameworks] ELEPHANTS AND FILM

Esteemed cohorts everyone,

What I really love besides Experimental Film are Elephants.
I LOVE all Elephants but especially those that live free in the wild.
I love the complexity of elephant societies.

Something amazing to read is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition

Something important to see is:
National Geographic - Battle For The Elephants (2013)

I hope everybody on this forum is aware of the horror that is happening to
these animals right now, today.
More Elephants are being killed
than are being born. They are being wiped out, expunged from the earth.
The numbers of those massacred are crazy.
Last year 30,000 elephants were murdered.
The killing rate is accelerating. The New York Times describes it as a frenzy.
Horribly helicopters and machine guns do the job annihilating whole herds.
China is the problem.
The CHINESE demand the elephant's ivory tusks to make ludicrous carved luxury
goods.

If there is hope it might be through FILM.

Apparently, ridiculously the burgeoning Chinese middle class thinks elephant
tusks fall out naturally.
They call them elephant teeth.
Using film to educate in Africa and China may be the elephants last best hope.

The Experimental Film community can contribute importantly and make a
difference.
Kickstarter it isn't, but If you want to help or know of a cognizant
compassionate human being who does
please go here:

http://africanenvironmentalfilms.squarespace.com/donate

or here

http://www.savetheelephants.org/home.html

If you are a teacher please share this with your students.
Time is of the essence.
The force of human compassion is the solution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/opinion/death-of-the-elephants.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=organized-crime-elephant-slaughter

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/world/asia/an-illicit-trail-of-african-ivory-to-china.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/opinion/sunday/slaughter-of-the-african-elephants.html