Hello Frameworkers!

I wanted to send out a special email telling you about this weekend's
very special series at International House Philadelphia called The
Cinema is Jonas Mekas <http://ihousephilly.org/jonasmekas> .

Here's a run-down of the activities. To my knowledge, this is the first
Philadelphia retrospective series of his work:

Friday April 19 at 7pm: "Friends and Artists" screening with
introduction + Q&A with Jonas Mekas
<http://ihousephilly.org/events/the-cinema-is-jonas-mekas-friends-and-ar
tists/>
Film Magazine of the Arts (dir. Jonas Mekas, US, 1963, 16mm, color, 20
min.) // Scenes of the Life of Andy Warhol (dir. Jonas Mekas, US, 1990,
16mm, color, 36 min.) // Street Songs (dir. Jonas Mekas, France, 1983,
16mm, b/w, 11 min.) // Zefiro Torna, or Scenes from the Life of George
Maciunas (dir. Jonas Mekas, USA, 1992, 16mm, color, 35 min.)

Saturday April 20 at 2pm: Panel discussion: "My Friends! The Life and
Work of Jonas Mekas"
<http://ihousephilly.org/events/the-cinema-is-jonas-mekas-my-friends-the
-life-and-work-of-jonas-mekas/> (Free admission!)
Panel discussion with Jonas Mekas, film critic Amy Taubin, French
filmmaker Jackie Raynal and curator Ed Halter, moderated by
curator/filmmaker Andrew Lampert. This discussion will utilize expert
panelists, each of whom has a different connection to Mekas' life and
work. They will share their perspectives on his film and video practice,
the influence he has had on moving image culture and how he became the
central figure in American independent film.

Saturday April 20 at 7pm: Selections from The 365 Days Project with
introduction + Q&A with Jonas Mekas
<http://ihousephilly.org/events/the-cinema-is-jonas-mekas-selections-fro
m-the-365-days-project/>
(dir. Jonas Mekas, US, 2007, digital, 137 min.) // This program features
selections of the short digital films Mekas posted daily throughout
2007. Combining brand-new footage with older material unearthed and made
public for the first time, The 365 Days Project was both a bold leap
into the digital world for Mekas and a natural extension of the approach
to cinema-small-scale, intimate, and direct-that he had been practicing
in his diary films for decades.

Tickets are available via the links above. The panel discussion is free
but guests are encouraged to RSVP as it may fill up!

Please pass this on to anyone you know in the Philadelphia area who
might be interested!

Herb Shellenberger
Programs Office Manager

3701 CHESTNUT STREET | PHILADELPHIA, PA 19104
phone: 215.895.6575   |  fax: 215.895.6562
email: he...@ihphilly.org | web: www.ihousephilly.org

<<image001.jpg>>