Looping Super 8mm is a tricky one. Main issue is maintaining the
installation once it's in play. Making prints of Super 8 is
a finicky business especially in colour now that we've lost Ektachrome
100D.  When the print degrades, it's either accept the scratches or strike
a new print off a monitor (which depending on your set-up will have varying
degree of success.) Elmo designed a looper that can handle 400ft of S8,
it's a wonderful piece of kit but will only work on Elmo's GS1200 or ST1200
series of projectors. It's worm-geared for perfect balance of tension on
the platter.

Making a simple loop will get the job done, but is limited to the space in
the gallery and will attract a lot more dust. This can be suspended from
the ceiling, a transport rig, or even the arms of the projector itself if
the loop is small enough.  There is also the concern of tension.  I've run
16mm all over a room, and with a solid projector the torque will pull the
film accordingly, however, i found with super 8 there is a point where
there is too much weight in the hanging film for the projector to advance
without consequences.

For multi-channel loops, you will require more than one projector unless
your intension is to just have the films spliced from head to tail.  If you
wish them to be in sync, you will need to modify each projector with a new
motor interlocked with each other unit through a motor control. (*not as
much fun as it sounds).  I wouldn't worry too much about overheating if you
are using Quartz bulbs. The old blue/black top bulbs is a different story
(*500w+!).

If you have the resources to optically print to 16mm, this format is much
easier to deal with regarding loops.  Labs can strike you as many prints as
you need; projectors are decently available, and there are places that are
around that already support this kind of gallery work.

Hope this helps!

Karl.

Technical Coordinator - Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto (
www.lift.ca)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Imogen Pring <i.pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me or advise me on how to show Super
> 8 film. I want to show my films with a Super 8 projector so it is in the
> correct format, but I also want to have my films on a loop. Does anyone
> know how to loop films easily? I was told that I could loop the film over
> spools hanging from the ceiling.
>
> I would potentially have more than one film being shown through one
> projector - is it possible to loop several films? I am currently using a
> Eumig projector and my main concern is that it may overheat?
>
> Any advice would be great!
>
> Thank you, and best wishes,
> Imogen

Karl Reinsalu