I believe SXSW is for profit.  And I believe they profit rather well.

There are certainly a number of small festivals that by default are
considered "for profit" because they haven't done the legwork to achieve
non-profit status, but are essentially operating like a non-profit.
Ultimately, I think the distinction comes down more to the motives of the
operation then their legal fiscal standing.  There are non-profits out
there where the director/CEO is making high six figure salaries, while
there are for-profits where nobody is making a penny.

Achieving and maintaining non-profit status takes a significant amount of
work, and sometimes money, but then once achieved certainly makes
fund-raising significantly easier.

-matt