Zach,

To answer your question, everything depends on the size of the label involved.
A limited pressing of 1,500 copies is about the minimum for a CD release, and
is typical of very small labels. The budget for a pressing of that size is
around $2,000. In that case, I would think that $1,000 for master/sync rights
for an experimental film project is a bit steep.

However, if you're dealing with one of the "major" independent labels (e.g.,
Merge, Matador, Sub-Pop, DFA, Domino…) then they might be used to working with
ad agencies, in which case master/sync licensing fees are considerably higher.
To give you an example, if an ad agency wanted to use a tiny, unrecognizable
snippet of a song as a stinger in a TV commercial, they would pay a minimum of
$5,000. To use a recognizable chunk, the fee would be at least $10,000-$20,000.

Of course you shouldn't pay even close to that much! But if you're working with
a "major" minor label you might need to convey to them just how small the
experimental film world is.

If they're asking you to propose a fee, chances are they're as unsure as you
are about what's appropriate in this case. I would use the total production
budget of your project as a framework. Make the music licensing fee a
percentage of your budget--no more than 20%? 25%?

Again, everything depends on the size of the label and the initial pressing. If
you'd like to give more details off-list, I'd be happy to advise further.

Best,
Andrew