Quoting Kevin Obsatz <ke...@videohaiku.com>:

My goal isn't a perfectly clean, seamless print, but I'm wondering if there are any tips I should follow. I heard a rumor once that Brakhage would include frames of black leader in between shots to make splices less visible - but that could be just a dumb rumor.

It's true, but he used two frames. A cement-spliced shot one frame long is probably more likely to break or otherwise become damaged in printing.

You can detect these "pauses" not only in the film strip but on screen, and the less-harsh cut with a "wink" in its middle has a different feel than a harder cut And often in the same films Brakhage would include cuts made in the camera, thus without the two frames of black.

But I concur with the other advice you have gotten about using a pro for A&B rolling, assuming you're going for a clean clear "look."

Fred Camper
Chicago