Rebecca, et. al.,

After re-reading your post, and reading Scott's response, it strikes me that
you may have been looking for information about early (e.g. silent,
"primitive?") film systems that involved viewing 16mm film without lens or
projector. Your use of the term "installation" made me assume expanded cinema,
film installation, etc., but then there's your reference to the zoetrope, which
suggests that you're looking for something further back in history. Of course,
the zoetrope did not use film of any kind. What's more, 16mm film wasn't
invented until 1923, by which time projection - with lenses - was, of course,
standard practice in film exhibition. I'm not aware of any viewing systems for
16mm that don't employ at least lenses: flatbed editors don't quite "project"
the images, at least not in the same way a projector does, and devices like
Moviolas and Moviscopes don't involve projection - the film image is simply
magnified into a viewer, not unlike the Kinetsoscope. But these systems are
used to edit film reels, not to show loops. And they all use lenses.

Specifying your research project would be helpful - can we have a little more
detail?
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor