Jean Rouch should definitely be mentioned, especially Les Maitres Fous,
Jaguar, and Chronicle of a Summer - as he influenced Godard and the French
New Wave. The unavailability of his films in the U.S. has eased in recent
months due to institutional DVD copies being made available through Icarus.

Much ethnographic film from various eras would apply: The Ax Fight
(self-reflexivity) and To Live With Herds (observational cinema landmark)
come to mind, as does Mead and Bateson's groundbreaking work like Trance
and Dance in Bali. Also Robert Gardner's Forest of Bliss and Lucien
Taylor's and Verena Paravel's recent Leviathan (for ideas of "sensory
ethnography").

Shirley Clarke's Portrait of Jason, for ideas of changing representation of
black and LGBT cultures and figures in documentary. Of course, Black Audio
Film Collective's Handsworth Songs and everything by Marlon Riggs.

Further away from experimental here, but an argument could be made for This
Is Spinal Tap as a pivotal work of "fake documentary," with influence far
beyond comedy/fiction.

Definitively unavailable, and completely pivotal: An American Family.

Andy Ditzler
www.filmlove.org
www.johnq.org
Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts, Emory University