Hi Caryn,

$800 is a bit high on one hand, but also seems fair for adapting another
artists/writers work to your film and for all the rights they are granting
you.. you even have broadcast rights, which is a rarity! Maybe you think
broadcast's a moot point, but at least it opens things up so that you
don't ever have to sneak around... and streaming rights are definitely not
moot!

When I've worked with a writer I've tried to give him around that amount
for the work that he did, since it was essential to making it what it is.
I know that its a pain to give the money to the mothercorp, new york
times, rather than directly to the writer, but they are also the ones
hiring the writer for his work. That's the contract he signed. As well,
It's probably good for him that they're able to monetize on his work
beyond the original article, no matter how small.

You're saying its about 1/3 the cost of the film. Is the soundtrack not
1/3 the experience of the film?

I think its harder to apply fair use when you've already asked them what's
"fair" to them. Also when you know the other creator, the concept of fair
use gets trickier, doesn't it?

I think its really about how essential you think this particular writer's
work is to your film in terms of whether you pay for it or make up a new
script of your own.

Finally, just for fun: doesn't NYT's occasionally run videos on their site
? Maybe eventually they'll be interested in hosting your project since its
derived from their writing--although only grant it if they pay you!

best
Chris