From: FrameWorks [mailto:frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com] On Behalf Of
Fred Camper
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 10:02 PM
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] New filmmaker

Learning to edit before starting to shoot on your own may not be for everyone,
but I think it's an excellent suggestion. You may even want to pursue this for
a while before shooting, but if you then want to shoot on your own, your
shooting will be informed by what you have learned to do with editing, and will
likely be more disciplined as a result.

It's all too easy to shoot a bunch of footage that you then have no idea what
to do with. This is a frequent beginner's problem.

If you do get a camera right away, one good discipline is trying to make very
short films that are edited in camera, or as close to edited in camera as you
can make them.

Fred Camper
Chicago