On May 5, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Fred Camper
<f...@fredcamper.com<mailto:f...@fredcamper.com>> wrote:

If you do get a camera right away, one good discipline is trying to make very
short films that are edited in camera, or as close to edited in camera as you
can make them.

I agree with Fred.  I was already very experienced in photography when I
started in film, so shooting wasn’t that difficult, but I found that diving
myself strict formal limits and editing in the camera was immensely helpful in
learning the new elements of time and motion in film.  For example: shooting a
roll in which every shot had to end with a distinct prominent color and the
next shot had to begin with an object in frame of the same general color:
documentary, dramatic narrative, or lyrical—you had assigned yourself a
practical limit which challenged your own creativity and imagination.

Chuck Kleinhans

Chuck Kleinhans
chuck...@northwestern.edu<mailto:chuck...@northwestern.edu>