I picked up a power converter at at thrift store for $10 called a Patronics
AC/AC Converter.
It has input select 110 vs 220 and says 1500W max with ground lead.
It is a black 7X7X4 inch (18X18X10 cm) brick of a thing, weighs about 25 pounds.
What I am unclear on, is
A) if it is working correctly, and
B) if this is something I can use overseas in 220V land to run projectors. Will
it take 220V input of power?

When I plug a conventional desk lamp in (a device I am willing to risk!) with
60W bulb using 120V power (US/CAN standard)
These are the results:
without converter - standard light output
with converter set to 110V - much much brighter
with converter set to 220V - very dim
I haven’t kept it on for an extended period, but do these results make sense?

Of course, I don’t have 220V power handy, so I can’t test the power input end,
though I could maybe try plugging it into a clothes dryer plug (220V) with a
plug converter…
At $10, no big deal if it is just a heavy useless brick, but it seemed worth
looking into.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light (whatever brightness) on this
situation.
Here is a picture of it:
http://www.alexmackenzie.ca/images/patronics.jpg

Alex