Gene,

I had a similar issue recently.  I haven't been able to find a Thunderbolt
to 4-pin Firewire cable anywhere.

To my knowledge, the only Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter that exists is
for 9-pin Firewire (it goes for about $30.00 at Apple stores).  I then use
a 9-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable to connect to my DV deck or DV camera.
 There are definitely other combinations of adapters that are possible, but
this system seems to be one of the most efficient solutions, and has been
working very well for me.

I'm finding that Apple has been increasingly poor at supporting 4 or 6 pin
Firewire cables as they continue to add more bells & whistles.  Their new
laptops don't even have DVD/CD disk drives anymore.  Their new display
options are "easier," yet less specific, hold far fewer possibilities, and
give the user less agency in fine-tuning for projection.  Once Apple
changes to their new audio output in lieu of mini cables and outsources
most of their storage to Cloud-based models, I feel like they might
alienate their original core audience - artists/designers/musicians/film &
video makers.  I understand that we need to "change with the times," but
the cost is very high and holds danger for losing significant quality and
control.  I might be opening a can of worms here, but it's something I've
been struggling with a lot lately as a maker and as an exhibitor.

Aside from that tangent: good luck, Gene!

Cheers,
Kate Ewald