well john... 2K was a budget decision... made in 2011 as i was about to start
shooting... and i was so scared and overwhelmed by this whole new area... i did
what i could afford....

i also pulled back from frameworks a bit... and didn't ask for advice here...
feeling somehow like ... not a traitor... that't not the right word at all... a
defector maybe?....

i felt like asking this community for input would have been out of place... my
last film didn't involve hand processing or optical printing, but it was still
edited entirely on celluloid, neg cut and finished on 35mm, with no actors, and
almost no action... destined for gallery exhibition on a loop....  but even so,
some people said it wasn't "experimental" like my earlier films... and i
probably took that too personally, and so i had a bit of an identity crisis...
wondering if i had sold out by having a lab process that film instead of hand
processing it myself... so i pulled back from frameworks.... and for this
latest film, which has taken the last 4 years for my life... it's such a huge
undertaking... a 2 hour landscape film on 35mm... no commercial audience (no
talking heads, no narrative, no people, no action)... and i worried that maybe
it also had no experimental audience given that not only am I working with a
lab this time, but I'm also finishing on DCP, because sound is important to
this film (it's all about radio!), and I was scared that 35mm sound would
dissappear before I finished... so i worried it might not have any audience at
all (neither experimental nor mainstream) like my last film because it was in
between the two...  but this film is really important to me, and I think it's
an amazing historical subject (the demolition of one of the world's largest
international shortwave radio tansmission sites thanks to conservative govt.
budget cuts because they claim everyone has the internet now and shortwave
radio is obsolete!... these towers served africa, europe, south america, and
the arctic, from 1944 - 2012 and now they're gone!).... so yeah... i embarked
on this film anyway... even if it meant having to finish digitally due to my
fear of 35mm sound disappearing before i finished....

so yeah... i went for 2K (which I could barely afford).... and I pulled away
from frameworks... feeling like a defector... now that i've jumped back in to
reading frameworks... i'm shocked and surprised to be reading so many threads
about codecs and such!  i guess it makes sense, given all that's happened in
the last few years... maybe i shouldn't have pulled away...

it is nice to see the discussion of codecs integrated with the discussion of
experimental film...
i remember long debates of film vs. video and people trying to keep discussions
related to video and quicktime files off this list altogether.... that's kind
of why i pulled away... for fear that if i asked about how to proceed with
scans and DCP output... that well... that this wouldn't be the place.

anyhow... time passes....

2K was all I could afford (and I'm still about 4000$ short of paying off my lab
bills and the sound mix!... there are post-dated cheques in the hands of the
labs as i type this and no money to pay them)....

4K would have been nice... but next time... it will be 4 perf.... not 4K.
even if i have to find my own projector.

xoadc