From: FrameWorks [mailto:frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com] On Behalf Of
40 Frames
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:44 PM
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Modern 16mm features, distributed on film

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM, John Woods
<jawood...@yahoo.ca<mailto:jawood...@yahoo.ca>> wrote:

Alain, while I'm primarily interested in experimental or artists films, I'd
open up to mainstream films too. I'm more broadly interested in the state of
16mm film as an exhibition format and not necessarily experimental. If
Spielberg decided to distribute his latest on 16mm, then that would count. I
guess I'm biased in my thinking that a 16mm print nowadays is an indulgence for
the creator and few mainstream filmmakers are going to convince their
distributor to pick up the bill for the print.

70 minutes x 36ft/min = 2520 feet

Optical Track .60/ft x 2520 = $1512 + shipping

Answer Print 1.00/ft x 2520 = $2520 + shipping

Release Print .70/ft x 2520 = $1764 + shipping

Subtotal $5796

Cut your own neg, or add the cost of that as well ($5 per cut). Let say 100
cuts for a nice round number multiplied by an
A roll and B roll... $1000 + shipping. Neg cutting will get more expensive as
black leader is becoming more expensive. One
can A roll, and/or cut their own neg to save cost, but there's still going to
be a cost to cutting neg given the supplies needed to cut neg.

Let's just say $7000 USD to make two prints, adding up the above costs and
having someone cut your neg...

A common "art theater" rental rate in the US is $250 or a certain percentage of
the door whichever is greater. Let's assume
$250 is better than the percentage. Book 30 screenings and you've made $7500,
covering your lab cost for making prints. That's assuming you didn't travel to
any of these screenings... and assuming each theater agreed to pay the $250
rental + shipping (both ways)!

The film coops and artist-run labs can bring some of these costs down... indeed
it might be the only way one can consider going this route, but then you have
the issue of 16mm projection....

That surf film sounds pretty interesting. A throwback to the days of Warren
Miller touring his films. The ski/surf/skate genre is in away similar to
experimental film. Its a niche audience of practitioners and the films are
plot-less compositions of beautiful visuals.

I met a guy (this was probably 20 years ago) who was shooting backcountry
snowboard films on a Bolex in the British Columbia backcountry. His footage was
very nice, though I've always had a difficult time with this style of making,
as it's usually is a bunch of shots cut to music. I'd prefer an
ambient/location track of some kind, even a non-sync constructed one. I always
found these films (ski/snowboard/surf/skate) to be more akin to music videos
than experimental films. But still, there are certainly some
crossover/similarities, so I would agree with your comment above.

I know it was shot on 16mm, but is Jodie Mack's Dusty Stacks of Mom available
on 16mm? Thats about 40 minutes.

Pam asked the same question, perhaps Jodie can answer as I don't know.

Best,
Alain

--
40 FRAMES