Hi Ben,
As Jeff wrote, do not use a viewer/editor.
The much better cheap way is to project the film and shoot it off the
wall/screen with a video camera.

Jeff's idea of shooting frame-by-frame with a still camera will produce
better results, much more slowly. Be warned however if you are using a
DSLR with a mecahnical shutter you will use up a minimum of 43,200 (number
of frames in 600' of S8) actuations on the DSLR. So you may end up wearing
out an expensive camera saving money on scanning - most Canon DSLRs are
rated at 100,000 to 300,000 actuations.

-Good luck!
---Buck Bito - Movette

Lawrence "Buck" Bito