Depending on how long 'long term' is, I'd say the freezer is the best as long
as the films are in a sealed plastic bag with desiccants to keep the humidity
down.
Kodak recommends the following on their site:"Storage of Raw StockWhen film
reaches an appropriate moisture equilibrium after manufacture, it is carefully
put into a film can and sealed with tape. The can is now usually impervious to
normal levels of relative humidity, but some cans may rust. Short term storage
in low or high relative humidity isn't immediately threatening so long as the
packages of raw film remain sealed.
Cold temperatures are best for slowing the inevitable changes in sensitivity.
If raw stock must be kept for periods of up to 3 months, temperatures of 13°C
(55°F) or less are appropriate. If raw stock must be kept longer than 3 months,
freezing at -18° to -23°C (0 to -10°F) is recommended. After any cold storage,
be sure to allow the films to equilibrate slowly to the ambient temperature
where it will be used. This is necessary to prevent moisture condensation and
spotting. Conditioning time will vary with the thickness of the packages and
the temperature and dew point of the outside air. A 100-foot roll of 16 mm can
take as little as 1/2 hour to condition whereas a 1000-foot roll of 35 mm may
take up to 3 hours. Do not open the packages if they feel colder than the
ambient temperature. Always use films soon after purchasing.

Read more:
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Storage/storage_info.htm#ixzz3CmJuFdnD
 "

The link included above has a lot more information and they have this
publication that is a good resource:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30.pdf
I know that the cold storage used for the still photo negatives in the archive
I work at is in freezers w/sealed, low humidity packaging.
My $.02,
Jeremy Menzies