I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and every time a new message comes
across, it makes me think of these two examples, possibly too tangential to
the original poster's intent.

"Two Films I Never Made" (1973), by Herbert Jean de Grasse. It's just 4
minutes of black leader where the filmmaker relates what we'd be seeing had
he made the films. A bit of a throwaway, but I seem to recall we showed it
more than once at the Experimental Film Coalition screenings in Chicago and
audiences enjoyed de Grasse's mischievous narration.

http://canyoncinema.com/catalog/film/?i=740

I was sad to learn that Mr. de Grasse passed away towards the end of 2012.
http://napavalleyregister.com/obituaries/herbert-jean-de-grasse/article_44ac2036-522d-11e2-9383-0019bb2963f4.html

And for a musical example, John Darnielle (The Mountain Goats) has a side
project with Franklin Bruno called "The Extra Lens", and the song "Only
Existing Footage" on their recording "Undercard" (2010) chronicles the
unraveling of a film project.

"Annihilation pouring since it found out where I drink."

Eric