A way I often do it is to use MakeMKV (you can get it free with a monthly
temp registration code) to make a mostly lossless copy of the DVD's video
streams. I'm not entirely sure how it does this, but it re-encodes the DVD
streams in mpeg-2 format .mkv files with bitrates that are comparable to
that of the source. Usually then I'll convert the mkv files to whatever
format I need...prores or DV or whatever. I usually use Wondershare Video
Converter to do that (got it with a coupon for $25). You can rip Blurays
with MakeMKV as well, and convert the mkv to other HD formats as well.
Works great for me. Otherwise, I use MacX DVDripper Pro to make an
unencrypted DVD disc image of whatever I'm wanting to rip...then I use
Cinematize to finally make the quicktime file. The 2nd method is probably
the best (Cinematize is supposedly lossless), but it's more time consuming.
In the end, not sure which way really is better, or if either is. I'm not a
huge fan of handbrake. The results I've gotten from its decodes have been
pretty bad in the past...artifacting, etc. And it takes forever. MakeMKV is
lightning fast, and you don't have to decrypt the DVD with another program
first like you do with handbrake. MakeMKV just makes a faithful copy that
you can then convert. And for now, as long as you're willing to visit its
website to get a new registration code every month, it's free. Eventually I
felt so bad for using the program for free so much, and that it's saved me
so much trouble, i finally coughed up the $50 to get a permanent
registration code. MakeMKV is probably the fastest decoder I know of, and
the files it produces are always flawless looking. Plus, it's easy to
use...but in being easy it doesn't lowball the results...the resulting
files are of a high bitrate...not the defaults that something like
handbrake uses...high quality to it is maybe the specs of a file you'd
encode for youtube. Anyway, just my two cents =).

-charles