?The problem with this list, as is often the case, is that women filmmakers are
written out of the 'canon'. Please include Maya Deren! (as per Vicky Smith's
post)

________________________________
From: FrameWorks <frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com> on behalf of Gene
Youngblood <ato...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 6:56 PM
To: Frameworks Listserv
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] What are the 3 Essential Films that you would show
Artists on their first foray into the Moving Image Realm ?

Three is a severe limitation, but if you insist, one way to get at it is to
start not with films but with major traditions since mid-century and select
exemplary works within them. So for example abstract (Brakhage), minimalist
(Warhol, Wavelength), essayistic (Marker, Farocki, Forgacs). I include
Brakhage's lens-captured films in the problematic "abstract."

On Mar 27, 2015, at 11:43 AM, Donal OCeilleachair