ahhhahaaa

http://listverse.com/2011/08/11/top-10-avant-garde-filmmakers/

jonas on top

so here we are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_film

its a good entry actually but i think it misses some info we have here in
the minds on this listserv - i want to remind of the importance of
wikipedia - that the enlightenment front lines were fought by making
encyclopedias - people went to prison for it even...

i am not a feminist because i have been 'assaulted' by the fascism of
feminists (including women that want to kill all men) & i think it creates
polemics & division (even in its very name) and we dont need more
constructs to divide us

i have argued for a long time (in a theory class writing a treatise
entitled 'woman who kill' pulling out the portraiture of societies 'female'
that is far far from a murderer) that woman and others can shift society in
ways that do not envelope the female in victimhood

*scene of virginia woolf putting rocks in her pockets to make sure she
sank* from the film by todd haynes who has done a ton of work to shift the
female out just starting with superstar but then really going on to lift
heavy weights

with clearing that i would like to put out two 'female' filmmakers that
work on this shift out type of level for me

dorit cypis

http://www.doritcypis.com/

chantal akerman

http://www.criterion.com/explore/151-chantal-akerman

dorit cypis however is also a social practice artist .. she set up a rape
crisis center among other social practice activities ... she continues

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Rob Gawthrop <r...@robgawthrop.co.uk> wrote:

> Although your question is for a specific purpose, the implications open up
> a broader and deeper debate than choosing three films.  Having been in
> higher education for a long time and shown many works to different groups
> of students (fine art in particular), certain works have come to the fore:
>
>  T*he Seashell and the Clergyman* - Germaine Dulac France 1927.  This
> opens up the whole problem of interpretation as well as the cultural
> contexts of surrealism, feminism, censorship and in respect of authorship;
> Dulac being the first feminist film theorist and proponent of a 'pure
> cinema' and Artaud's theories of theatre of cruelty.
>
>  *Sailboat* - Joyce Wieland  Canada 1967.  Positions the viewer in
> relation to the camera - of three-dimensional space (including sound),
> flatness and time.
>
>  *RayDay Film* - Jeff Keen England 1967  Connects the 'underground' with
> pop art, collage, performance, abstraction, destruction, noise and expanded
> cinema.
>
>  Discussion around the works is central and if it is one screening, then
> films such as *Wavelength*  or *Zorns Lemma* (or *Nostalgia*) may be too
> long. The above films connect well with other art works and other
> experimental films that can be referred to.  The idea of a 'canon' or a
> hagiographical 'history' is problematic. The contexts of these films -
> social, political, cultural - cannot be separated from their form/content.
> There are many others that could be substituted but I seem to return to
> these three.
>

> Rob.
> On 27 Mar 2015, at 17:43, Donal OCeilleachair <donalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Frameworkers:
>
> I am working on a new film project with the Ealaíontóirí Mhuscraí
> (that's Irish for the Muskerry Region Artists Group)
>
> Part of the project will involve film / video making workshops where I
> will show
> them works from experimental film, creative documentary and artists'
> moving image works
> as a point of reference and inspiration for their own initial explorations
> into the realm of the moving image
>
> I am compiling a short-list of 'Essential' works to show them during these
> workshops
> and I would appreciate responses to the question:
> 'What are the 3 Essential Films that you would show Artists
> on their first foray into the Moving Image Realm ?'
>
> I look forward to hearing any suggestions
>
> Le míle buíochas (with many thanks)
> --
> Dónal Ó'Céilleachair
> www.anupictures.com

Cari Machet
NYC 646-436-7795
carimac...@gmail.com
AIM carismachet
Syria +963-099 277 3243
Amman +962 077 636 9407
Berlin +49 152 11779219
Reykjavik +354 894 8650
Twitter: @carimachet <https://twitter.com/carimachet>

7035 690E 5E47 41D4 B0E5 B3D1 AF90 49D6 BE09 2187

Ruh-roh, this is now necessary: This email is intended only for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this
information, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email without
permission is strictly prohibited.