The concluding -- and personal favorite -- passage from that Andrew Noren /
Scott MacDonald interview (in Critical Cinema 2) that Mr. Youngblood referred
to earlier:

“The absolute best thing I’ve seen recently and certainly the most avant-garde
was a lightning storm over southern New Jersey. It was so spectacular and
sophisticated and surely one of the all-time great movies. It was incredibly
powerful and intricate and intelligent and terrifying. It blasted us awake at
two a.m. and we watched it through the black frame of the back door: vivid,
intense, electric presentation of every last single detail of each bush, tree,
leaf-of-grass. Vibrating out of absolute blackness in blinding, blue-white
light, figure and ground switching places several times a second. Violent
dimensional collisions, macroscopic magnification of the smallest things. Then
everything vanishing into blackness so intense that the after-images were
almost as strong as the original. And sound! Earth-shattering contrapuntal
booms and blasts of such power I was sure the house would be blown away. I wish
I could begin to describe it. It was wonderful, and as avant-garde is it gets.
We were enchanted.”

Carl

Milwaukee