I've had some success showing John Smith films in this context
before..."Girl Chewing Gum" is good, and "Om" if you're after something
shorter. Both have a lot of teachable elements if that's interesting to
you.

And of course, there's the early avant garde films..."Symphonie Diagonale"
"Retour a la Raison", etc. I also liked showing Len Lye films ( colourful,
usually not too long). I guess my suggestion here is that direct-film
techniques rarely produce content of questionable moral fibre :)

On Sunday, July 12, 2015, Chris Freeman <christopherbriggsfree...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> EFF Portland had a family friendly screening on one of the days of the
> festival in 2013.  This is the list of films from that:
>

> *Whale Story*, dir. Tess Martin
> *Borboletas Delicadas (Delicate Butterflies)*, dir. Wladymir Lima
> *Background Singer*, dir. Javier Villegas
> *(Dis) Connect 2*, dir. Emeka Ogboh
> *Never Be That Tough*, dir. Nancy Jean Tucker
> *It Doesn’t Matter*, dir. Lori Felker
> <http://www.undergroundfilmjournal.com/tag/lori-felker/>
> *Pargu*, dir. Sean Grounds
> *Spring Tide*, dir. Sean Hanley
> *You Are Here*, dir. Leslie Supnet
> <http://www.undergroundfilmjournal.com/tag/leslie-supnet/>
> *Rolling Stock*, dir. Dan Inglis
> *9 Pixels of Katy Perry – “California Gurls”*, dir. William Burn
> *Free Movements*, dir. Mikhail Basov
>
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Dan Anderson <bcfilmf...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','bcfilmf...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for avant-garde films that
>> go over well with kids (12 and up). I'm not very good with censorship and
>> always forget that there is something  "inappropriate" with most of my
>> favorite movies... even just a good PG narrative is hard to find..
>>
>> So far my go-to is usually "Neighbours" by McLaren, and "Dr. Strangelove"
>> for a good narrative that won't get me in trouble..
>>
>> thanks!

Sent from mobile device, please forgive typographic errors. -RTW