Hi Amanda,
My film CHARLEMAGNE 2 PILTZER is based on the diminished 5th, harmonics and dissonance in tonal intervals and flickering of opposite colors. The color wheel is an illusion since color perception is based on the sensitivity of three types of cone in the retina. Therefore the opposition between red and green, for example, is biological. The circle of fifths in music is also a biological illusion. The film studied this effect by relating flicker between opposite colors to Charlemagne Palestine's use of intervals like the diminished fifth to create dissonance and harmonic frequencies: we hear tones that are not being played, we see colors that are not on the film strip.
Pip