Hello Robert,

My two cents…

I have a website and never sold a single work through it. I believe
that's not how it works. Sales of films, in my experience, happen
through a relationship of trust, which is based on your pedigree and
through which line of interpersonal mediations your work comes into
the radar of a potential buyer.
If you are selling normally priced DVDs, where there is no idea of a
limited number of prints or exhibition copies, it's another story of
course.

Instead, a website would allow you to contextualize your films in a
much better way than Vimeo, through thought-thru design, well edited
text, etc.

That being said, I think it's a widely accepted practice to show
artist films on Vimeo.

best,
Marco

On 8 December 2015 at 18:19, Robert Withers <withe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello Frameworkers,
> A second attempt to post this . . .
> I have a web site that requires me to keep the provider paid up and work to
> update and maintain it. Mostly I use it to feature some films.
> I also have a vimeo page that is very easy to upload films to and edit. It
> doesn't cost me anything and may last longer than me.
> Is there any reason for a filmmaker to have a dedicated web page except
> perhaps to sell things?
> Thanks for any thoughts on this . . .
> Cheers,
> Robert