Interesting question. Keep in mind that Gidal also included and essay on Ken
Jacobs’ Tom Tom... (by Lois Mendelson and Bill Simon, also from Artforum) that
he (Gidal) expressly marked as “symptomatic of current misunderstanding” and
“fetishization of process and idealization of the formal in its weak sense.”
Vidal attributed the same “blindness” to the film itself. So he was open to
polemically including “bad” essays.

He doesn’t include a similar note about the Michelson piece, though he only
includes an excerpt. Perhaps he found that excerpt less “wrongheaded” than
other passages in the essay. The entire Snow section of Structural Film
Anthology is on the polemical side, including the rather pissy letter from Snow
to Gidal in response to the latter’s comments about Back-Forth.

Sort of an answer?

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Cinema